Rensselaer City School District students shall observe the following school bus behavior code:
- Be at the bus stop at designated time to help keep the bus on schedule.
- Always wait for the bus on the shoulder of the highway or sidewalk.
- When boarding the bus, stay in line; crowding is dangerous.
- Remain properly and quietly seated while the bus is in motion.
- As a passenger, keep head, arms, and hands inside the bus at all times.
- Never throw objects in the bus, out of the windows, or at the vehicle.
- Promptly obey instructions of the bus driver.
- Do not mar or deface bus seats or equipment.
- Be courteous to fellow passengers, the bus driver, and bus monitors.
- Do not distract attention of the bus driver from his /her duties.
- Do not smoke while on the bus.
- When leaving the bus, stay in line; do not crowd or push, nor lag behind.
Fighting and/or any infraction that jeopardizes the safety of the bus and its occupants could result in a suspension at any time. The child’s principal handles referrals for poor behavior. On the elementary level, the Van Rensselaer Discipline Policy determines response to inappropriate bus behavior. The policy is available at the school upon request.